Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Summer Adventures 1 & 2

This summer Rachel, Rebekah, and I have decided to do things around the Salt Lake Valley. We made a list of activities and places that we have never done or seen and have been going weekly to do one of these activities. Our first activity was hiking to the Timpanogas Caves. I had never hiked it and Rachel and Rebecca hadn't hiked it since they were little. It was a fun hike, but it was pretty hard. The caves were very cool to see.


Here we are standing after we barely made it to the top. Hopefully by the end of the summer we will be in shape with all these activites.
Here we are with our tour guide. I forgot what his name was, but he sure did love his job. He was a very animated person.
Gilgal Gardens, Salt Lake City Cemetary, Hatch Family Chocolates
These three things were our next adventure. The Gilgal Gardens is a sculpture garden that a man began creating in 1945. It was pretty cool to see the rock sculptures, but they were very interesting. There was one sculpture that was the Sphinx with Joseph Smiths head. Very interesting!!!


Rebekah stading in front of the "Captain of the Lord's Hosts"

Me sitting in my rock chair reading about the gardens. Do I look intelligent? (That is what I was going for, but I was more worried about sucking in my belly!)

Rachel eating her Wendy's on a rock.

"The Monument of the Trade" It is a sculpture of Thomas B. Child, Jr. (the man who created the gardens).

Standing under "The Monument of the Priesthood"

Hatch Family Chocolates.....Mmmm, chocolate covered bananas. They are fabulous!

Rachel being disgusting with my banana! How could you get ice cream when there is chocolate covered bananas involved???? I don't get it.

I didn't post any pictures of us in the cemetary because I think they are kind of creepy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dont worry!!! I posted ones of the cemetary, hoping the ghosts will come out and play!!!

ps you soooo do not know how to spell REBEKAH's name. I would hate you if I were her!!!

Nick & Alyson said...

I had no idea that is how her name is spelled. I will go in and change it.

Pam said...

Thanks for sharing your adventure. Is the chocolate covered banana frozen?

I think I may have to go to some of those places.....fun!

Angee said...

I think you guys are brilliant for hitting these sites. I would love to have more info like where the rocks are located and the chocolate. I do love chocolate. Can you help me out?

And thanks for the info on the hike. I will not be taking myself or my kids on the uphill mile - view or no view...

Nick & Alyson said...

The sculpture garden is on 749 East 500 South. It is kind of by the Artesian well. Clayton can inform you more on the well if you need. And the chocolate shop is just up the street from my house. It is on 4 th Avenue and E Street.

Amee said...

Why is it that when we are on vacation we hit all those crazy little novelty things but in our own home town we totally miss them? I had never thought about it before but I think that would be so fun to go see some of those things! It looks like you had a great time!